Proposed Package Submitted by the Employer
Your bargaining committee met with the employer on Sept. 13 and 14, where the employer presented a proposed Memorandum of Settlement for all outstanding issues and proposals.
This was predictable, following the recently signed Tentative Agreement (TA) between members of AUPE and the Government of Alberta (GOA). Many employers, including your own, view this TA as a blueprint for moving forward with negotiations.
Proposed Package Details
- 0% effective Jan. 1, 2017
- 0% effective Jan. 1, 2018
- Wage re-opener effective Jan. 1, 2019
If the parties are unable to negotiate a salary increase during the wage re-opener period, a resolution with be determined through interest arbitration, with a hearing taking place no later than September 30, 2019.
The following are some additional items in the proposed package:
- Article 1 – Definitions: New recognition of Casual employees as internal applicants for the purpose of job opportunities
- Article 10 – Layoff and Recall: Current Language
- Article 12 – Acting Incumbency and Responsibility Pay: Employees performing the principal duties of an out-of-scope position will receive a salary adjustment of five percent [5%] after appointment exceeds 5 days
- Article 16 – Hours of Work: Changed to reflect current legislation
- Article 18 – Shift Differential/Weekend Premium/Standby Pay: An increase of 25 cents to shift differential and weekend premium
- Article 29 – Health Care and Insurance Benefits: Increase of $50.00 to cost of eyeglasses lens and/or frames
- Article 36 – NEW Respectful Workplace: New comprehensive language addressing workplace discrimination, bullying, and harassment
- Letter of Understanding – Casual Labourer/Clerical: Effective July 1, 2017, provincial minimum wage will be paid to Employees “hired to perform single function, repetitive, basic tasks with no job skill training requirement
- Letter of Understanding – NEW Workload –A new, formal process to resolve workload concerns and involving AUPE, if requested by the employee
Important Next Steps
After much debate, your bargaining committee decided to hold off on making a decision regarding the employer’s proposed package.
Given this package hangs on the legitimacy of – and fellow AUPE members’ acceptance or rejection of – the TA with the GOA, your team felt it was important to wait to make a decision until we determine the results of that contract ratification vote.
Your bargaining committee plans to hold a bargaining update meeting for you before the first week of November. At this meeting we will present the employer’s proposed package and answer your questions regarding the package.
This was communicated to the employer, who agreed to notify all managers advising them to allow their Support Staff to attend this bargaining update meeting, but they emphasized that this is dependent on “operational requirements.” More information about the meeting will be sent to you as it becomes available.
This meeting is an opportunity for you to communicate your informal acceptance or rejection of this proposed agreement.
Your bargaining committee is dedicated to keeping you informed throughout the entire negotiations process. Please do not hesitate to contact a member of your committee or AUPE resource staff with any questions, comments or concerns you may have.
Please update your contact information so you don’t miss out on important bargaining updates by visiting: aupe.org/update-me
ATHABASCA UNIVERSITY BARGAINING TEAM MEMBERS
AUPE RESOURCE STAFF
Terry Luhoway, Negotiator
Farris Sobhani, Organizing
firstname.lastname@example.org or 780-930-5295
Alexander Delorme, CommunicationsResources:
email@example.com or 780-930-3333