Memorandum Of Settlement Ratification
On July 18th, 2019, your bargaining committee and the employer finalized the Memorandum of Agreement settling the terms and conditions of employment for the renewal of the 2017- 2020 collective agreement.
The parties met with the informal mediation assistance of Mia Norrie on April 5, 6, 7 and April 16, 17, 25, 2019.
The parties agreed on the following highlight revisions:
• Article 5- Union Recognition (seniority considered for position abolishment)
• Article 7- Employee Management Advisory Committee (EMAC)
• Article 9- Union Business (chairperson paid relief for up to 10%)
• Article 12- Layoff, Recall and Position Abolishment
o Sequential step process to determine any position abolishment
o Increased severance from 3 weeks to 4 weeks
• Article 26- Casual Illness (paid time off ill at work and medical appointments)
• Article 28- Proof of Illness (reimbursement up to $75.00 for each request)
• Article 30- Wellness Account (increased to $800.00 annually effective July 1, 2019)
• Article 34- Leaves (Bereavement Leave immediate family improved definition)
• New LOU- Use of Agency Employees (Administrative Assistant I / II) and Article 12 application
• New LOA- Banner 9 Implementation/ Workload Review Process
• New LOA – Peace Officer/ Extended Work Day
• New LOA- Power Plant Hours of Work
• New LOU- Unpaid Leaves
• New LOU- Review of Article 10 Classification Plan
Since April 25th the Parties have been finalizing the details of the Letter of Agreement: Salary Schedule/Wage Grid adjustments
• Effective July 1, 2017- no increase/ Effective July 1, 2018- no increase/ Effective July 1, 2019- wage reopener (anytime after July 31, 2019 and failing agreement – voluntary interest arbitration no later than December 31, 2019*/**
• *The parties acknowledge that any dates described herein are subject to the requirements of Bill 9: Public Sector Wage Arbitration Deferral Act; and
• ** The parties also acknowledge AUPE’s application for an injunction in opposition to Bill 9, which has been filed with the Alberta Courts. Additionally AUPE filed a statement of Claim in the Court of Queens’ Bench on the grounds Bill 9 is a violation of the Charter of Rights and Freedoms.
The only pattern in post-secondary education settlements is a salary schedule/ wage grid agreement of No increase in 2017, No increase in 2018 and a wage re-opener in 2019. That is the reason for the salary schedule/ wage grid agreement.
And finalizing the details of the Letter of Understanding- Jurisdictional Review Process – is revised by adding an addendum because of the amendments to the Public Service Employee Relations Act, which were effective June 1, 2019.
It is time for you to vote. We are conducting a ratification of the Memorandum of Agreement by mail-in balloting.
You have received a copy of the Memorandum of Agreement for each employee to review before voting. Please attend Ratification Update meetings scheduled for:
• August 7th
• August 14th
• August 21st
11AM – 1PM and 1PM – 3PM
Orpheus Theater, Campus Center, SAIT
In this package you have also received a ballot and a self-addressed return envelope. Please return the ballot in the self-addressed envelope and return to AUPE HQ in Edmonton by September 6th.
Please provide enough time for Canada Post to deliver your ballot to Edmonton by September 6th.
This is an opportunity for you to vote to accept or reject the Memorandum of Agreement. The Employer will also be voting on the Memorandum of Agreement.
We will be reporting the results of the mail-in balloting vote and confirming acceptance or rejection by September 16th, 2019.
Please contact any member of your bargaining committee with any questions, comments or concerns.
SAIT Bargaining Committee
Rose Read firstname.lastname@example.org
Diane Moreau email@example.com
Jaime Eschyshyn firstname.lastname@example.org
AUPE Resource Staff
John Wevers Negotiator
780-238-4767 or email@example.com
Farris Sobhani Organizer
780-271-0728 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Alexander Delorme Communications
780-930-3333 or email@example.com