AUPE has received notice from SAIT of its intent to abolish permanent positions within 10 business days, as per our Collective Agreement Article 12.01. This means the employer could begin abolishing AUPE permanent employee's positions as early as March 19/20.
For Position Abolishments, the employer has to follow a sequential 3 step process.
- The first step includes the release of casual, temporary, and probationary employees.
- The second step is to offer a voluntary departure program. The employer has advised they will begin this process as soon as possible.
- The third step is to implement involuntary position abolishments if the necessary reductions are not achieved following the first two steps.
The voluntary departure program is not a campus-wide program. It will only be offered to the impacted employees in an impacted classification if there are more employees than the number of positions that are being abolished. Not all impacted areas will be eligible for a voluntary departure program.
The Local will be working with the employer over the next 10 days to better understand how this will impact our membership. Decisions regarding which positions in which Schools and Departments are being abolished are still being made by the employer and are subject to change.
The initial information we have been provided is as follows. Again, please understand that these numbers are subject to change as the employer continues working through this process:
- Approximately 70 positions will be abolished.
- The number of employees taking voluntary separation will have an impact on the number of involuntary abolishments required.
- Positions will come from a total of 28 job classifications
- 19 Schools/Departments will be affected
Members are encouraged to review "Article 12 Position Abolishment" in the Collective Agreement to understand it and how it may impact them.
Please direct any questions you may have to a Steward, our Membership Services Officer or myself.
Rose Read, Chair Local 039